Saturday, February 21, 2015

Wreaths

I am pretty much OBSSESED with wreaths. I love making them for each different season and/or holiday and I even have them hanging around my house. As I sat down to put up a picture of my latest creation I decided to do a little research on the wreath. So thanks to good old wikipedia I learned a few things about wreaths.

Let's start with their origin. They were originally used in ancient southern Europe and ancient Greece and Rome. They were worn as an adornment on people's heads.

There are also a couple different kinds of wreath. The harvest wreath and the advent wreath. Who knew right? I liked what it said about the advent wreath so I am just going to paste the whole thing in here.

Advent Wreath[edit]

Further information: Advent Wreath
Since the classical use and symbolism of wreaths, the meaning and representation has taken on differing views, depending on the culture. In Christianity, wreaths are used to prepare for the Advent season or the "coming of Christ."[10] The first known association with these now modern day wreaths dates back to the Lutherans in Germany in the 16th century. In 1839, Johann Hinrich Wichern used a wreath made from a cart wheel to educate children about the meaning and purpose of Christmas, as well as to help them count its approach. For every Sunday of Advent, starting with the fourth Sunday before Christmas, he would put a white candle in the wreath and for every day in between he would use a red candle.[11] The Advent wreath is constructed of evergreens to represent everlasting life brought through Jesus and the circular shape of the wreath represents God, with no beginning and no end. The Advent wreath is now a popular symbol in preparation for the coming of Christ, to mark the beginning of the Christian Church’s year and as décor during the Christmas festivities.

Being a Christian I like the symbolism and I may need to rethink my Christmas wreath.....

Now that you have a little background on wreaths.... I guess I can tell you about mine. It has no meaning whatsoever. I don't love wreaths for their history or symbolism, I just think they are pretty. This latest creation was from an idea I found on pinterest. Here is the link for the tutorial I followed. She suggested using a green foam wreath form and I strongly support that suggestion. It already took my forever to glue the peas on and I can only imagine if I didn't have the green crutch to lean on. :) So here is my wreath on my door. It is beautiful and I love it.


Warning: This project is very tedious and messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment